This week I wanted to share the Crazy Quilt Placemat pattern with you.
Crazy Quilted Placemat
1. Cut a base fabric 13″ x 18″. Start in the center with a 3″ or smaller strip from each fabric.
2. Cut a small polygon (3″ to 4″) dark center piece so that it has five sides. Pin this piece near the center of the foundation.
3. Add another piece of fabric to one of the sides of the center piece. Lay this second piece of fabric right sides together on one of the sides of the polygon following the angle of the polygon. Make sure the new piece will be as long as the first piece after it is stitched and unfolded. Stitch the length of that side using a1/4″ seam. Trim excess fabric. Press the pieces open.
4. Repeat in the same manner by adding pieces clockwise around the center piece. Continue until the foundation is covered.
5. Be sure to use a stabilizing stitch like a zig-zag or bastin stitch around the edges to secure the piece work to the foundation.
6. Embellish as desired.
7. Add a 13″ x 18″ piece of batting and backing. Finish by binding or using the birthing method.